Centralized Intern Training and Authorization
The two CIT training tracks, Food Protection and Facilities and On-Site Wastewater, both include a distance learning portion that must be completed before attending the classroom sessions. On the first day of class there will be a closed-book pre-test covering the distance education course materials of the track you are attending.
All distance education materials are linked below under the Food Protection and Facilities or the On-Site Wastewater track. Most files are PowerPoint or Adobe PDF. If you are taking the FPF track you will find the FDA ORAU materials are available on the Kaplan Eduneering site. You must first register to obtain login credentials.
- Which materials do I need to review before I attend the classroom sessions? All of them within the particular track that you will be attending.
- How long do you suggest I allow to review the materials? Each track and the required training checklists should take approximately ten days to review.
- Will I have access to the materials during the tests? Are the tests open-book? No, both the pre and post-CIT tests are closed-book.
- Are the tests comprehensive? The tests are comprehensive to the areas of training that the track covers.
Pre-CIT Exam Policy
On the first day of class, you will be tested on the distance education course materials with a closed-book test.
Please review the materials below prior to class.
Please review the materials below prior to class for the track you will be attending.
Food Protection and Facilities Track Materials
U.S. Food and Drug Administration Office of Regulatory Affairs / FDA ORAU Training
Review the following courses available on the Kaplan Eduneering website . (Note: You must register for an account first - a user id, password, and company code are required. Please submit the registration request as soon as possible to avoid any delay obtaining your password. Registration is not immediate; it requires submission of an online form and approval.)
Foodborne Illnesses - Review the information for the links provided for the infectious agents listed below.
FPF Introductory Topics
- North Carolina Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- Lead Poisoning Hazard Investigation (PDF, 5.3 MB)
- Introduction to Epidemiology (PDF, 158 KB)
- Communicable Disease Control in N.C.: Laws, Rules, and Principles (PDF, 810 KB)
- Adult Day Services (PDF, 144 KB)
- Migrant Housing (PDF, 3.5 MB)
- Mass Gatherings
(PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Controlling Communicable Diseases in Child Care Centers: A Nurse's Perspective (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Inspections, Statistics, and Fees: How to use the Codes and Inspection Sheet (PDF, 39 KB)
FPF Related Topics
On-Site Wastewater Track Materials
Why Treat Wastewater?
Wastewater Characteristics and Design Flaws
On-Site Wastewater Technologies
- Soil Science Simplified by Helmut Kohnke and D.P. Franzmeier (book) - Read chapters 1-4, 6-8, and 12
- Onsite Guidance Manual
- Intro to Soils (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- Geomorphology (PDF, 7.2 MB)
- Introduction to Soil Description - Part 1 (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- Introduction to Soil Description - Part 2: Soil Consistence (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- Introduction to Soil Description - Part 3: Soil Profile Description and Horizons (PDF, 6.2 MB)
- Site Evaluation (PDF, 1.05 MB)
- Soil Survey (PDF, 3.1 MB)
- Clay Mineralogy and Soil Consistence (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- Soil Structure (PDF, 21.5 MB)
- Soil Texture (PDF, 11.7 MB)
- Restrictive Horizons (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Organic Soils (PDF, 9.5 MB)
Centralized Intern Training (CIT) Information